The pandemic has rocked communities. Businesses closing, neighborhoods in lockdown – it has been a time like no other. And sadly, now is the time when our most marginalized populations need to rely on the help and resources that charities and non-profits provide. These organizations are struggling the most. Organizations that support the elderly, the homeless, victims of violence, or other vulnerable people, and who feed the hungry, especially need help this year.
5 Reasons Why Folks Need Charities More Than Ever
- Job Losses: At the height of the lockdown, 6.6 million people applied for unemployment benefits. Those job losses don’t come without major ripple effects.
- Food Prices: With food prices increasing, and the loss of jobs, it is predicted that 1 in 6 Americans will go hungry in 2020.
- Domestic Abuse: Domestic abuse is on the rise in 2020, due to all of the complications that come with the pandemic. In Canada, federal consultations with frontline workers reveal a 20 to 30 percent increase in violence rates in certain regions.
- Mental Health Concerns: With all the uncertainty during the pandemic, mental health and substance abuse issues have increased. In fact, 40% of U.S. adults reported struggling with mental health or substance use in 2020.
- Loneliness: From lock-ins to shutdowns, we are lonelier than ever – especially the elderly, the vulnerable and those who live alone. Charities are able to connect those who are lonely with the right supports.
These Are the Best Charities to Support
One of the best ways to get through a difficult time is to connect with others. Here is a list of the different charities who could really use your help this year:
- Homeless shelters: More people are needing shelter as unemployment rates increase. Offer to connect people in your network with those who are without housing.
- Domestic abuse shelters: Domestic abuse shelters have unique needs. Connect and ask what it is you could donate or other ways you can help.
- Food banks: Food banks are always looking for support. Keep in mind that there are lots of people on specialized diets. These foods are sometimes 3 times more expensive than regular food, so donations of those items are especially appreciated.
- Clothing drives: Whether you are gathering winter gear or professional attire, you can tap into your community connections for clothing drives.
How to Support Charities in Your Community
All charities need financial support. Making a donation to your or a client’s favorite organization as a closing gift is a great way to show you care.
But long-term support doesn’t have to just be writing a check. Here are some different ways to support charities:
- Promote organizations to your followers on social media.
- Profile organizations that mean a lot to you on your website or social media accounts.
- Continue to support charities all year round and encourage your colleagues and clients to do so as well.
Real Estate Agents Doing Amazing Things Already
The real estate industry comes together in times of need. Members of the Ottawa Real Estate Board in Ottawa, Canada, quickly came together and raised $18,260 in emergency grant funding. This funding was meant to assist 7 different charities with service continuity to their clientele.
If you want to build up your community and make the connections that your business needs, check out this offer.