2020 has been a difficult year for everyone. A recent study has shown that 74% of real estate agents experienced burnout this year due to unmanageable workload, time pressure, and a lack of clarity about roles.
By being proactive and taking care of yourself daily, you can prevent burnout. Professionals who push themselves too hard can sometimes be forced to take time off of work to recover. Practicing self care for real estate agents might look different for everyone but here are some ways you can get started.
Self Care for Real Estate Agents: 4 Tips
- Set Boundaries: Being a real estate agent often means that you are always on call. However, setting boundaries around when you will answer calls or emails is essential. Here are some ways to set boundaries for yourself:
- Make a rule for yourself that you won’t answer the phone after a certain time each day.
- Once you are finished answering emails, shut down your computer for the day.
- Set family time as a permanent part of your schedule.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Say No: Saying yes to everything will not put you farther ahead. In fact, it will do the opposite. Here are some ways to say no:
- Don’t feel like you have to list every home that comes along.
- Say no to homes that don’t feel like they go with your brand.
- Don’t take on clients if you feel like they don’t respect your boundaries.
- Take Care of Yourself: Your body will only be healthy as long as you take care of it. Here are some ways to keep your engine running:
- Don’t forget to hydrate. Keeping well-hydrated can decrease brain fog, improve your immune system, and give you more energy.
- Sleep is essential to a healthy body. Start a predictable nighttime routine. Also try and get the same amount of sleep every night. (And a few naps won’t hurt either!)
- Find a Way to Decompress During Your Day: Don’t wait for the end of the day to recharge. Think of quick and easy things you can build into your day to bring moments of peace and calm. Try some of these:
- Find a yoga or meditation app and take a few minutes to focus your mind.
- Take a walk around your community. Fresh air will do wonders for your energy levels. This will give you a chance to fall back in love with your community.
- Phone or FaceTime a friend you haven’t talked to in a while.
Taking Care of Yourself Will Allow You to Put Others First
While it is essential to put others first, you can’t do it if your tank is running on empty. By showing others that you respect yourself enough to take care of yourself, you will teach them how to treat you. Once you are running on a full tank, you will be able to reach out and build up others.
Your community needs leaders who value themselves enough to set boundaries, learn to say no and take care of themselves.
Be the leader your community needs right now.