2020 has been an unpredictable year. Real estate agents have had to deal with a lot over the last six months. COVID-19 has changed every aspect of our lives, and the changes will continue for quite some time. Since we’re flying the plane while it’s being built, we’re going to make mistakes as we learn how to navigate the new normal. To prevent you from making these mistakes, we have compiled a list of 5 things to do in real estate:
- Embrace Virtual Tours: Virtual tours have been a game-changer for buyers and sellers alike. In fact, 3D home tours get 87% more views than homes with only still photos. In the past, it was okay to use still photos and property descriptions. You could count on the open house to show off the property. But once the shutdown hit, the only way to make a potential client feel like they could see themselves in the home was to use virtual tours. With virtual tours, no one will have to worry about disinfecting, masks, and social distancing.
- Be Careful About Hosting Open Houses: Open houses during a pandemic are difficult for many reasons. With rules changing often from stage to stage, it can be hard to keep up with rules and regulations. Recently in Toronto, Ontario, a listing for a three-bedroom home was removed from the market. During an open house, it was discovered by several visitors that a tenant residing in the home had recently been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Take Pandemic Etiquette Seriously: It is important to keep up with your local health regulations. Be sure to disinfect, wear your mask and do your best to embrace the virtual world with waves and air high-fives.
- Be Flexible: Rules of business have changed for now. As a real estate agent, you need to adapt and be even more flexible than usual. If you are used to handshakes and in-person signings, consider embracing virtual follow-up calls and digital signing software to close your deals.
- Focus on Your Community: Each community is dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic in different ways. And while no one really has “the answer”, you can be a pillar of strength for those that are struggling. We really are all in this together, and by working as a team, your community will have the chance to thrive and recover. As a real estate agent, your biggest job is to calm the waves so that people can get back to buying their dream homes. Parkbench is a platform that can help you do just that. With its unique, 1 agent per area system, you can support your community and build up your referrals through the relationships that you build. Your community benefits from the support and exposure that you bring to the table. COVID-19 was not something any of us could have predicted for 2020. It has clearly brought challenges and difficulties to everyone.